I can remember back to the days where Nick and I could go and do the things that we wanted when ever and where ever. I can't really say that I necessarily miss those days but I can for surely say that life was easier!! Life was care free back in the day when it was just the 2 of us. It is sooo crazy to me how parenting changes your life COMPLETELY!!! How your priorities are different once you become a mother and a father. How certain things don't really matter to me anymore that did before. Even earlier this year I wanted to upgrade our kitchen, which don't get me wrong I would still like to do it but for some reason it doesn't really seem much of a priority to me anymore.
Sadly, what I am trying to get at here is that I never really viewed food storage as a priority....when it was just Nick and I. Well, for me times have changed and I guess it is about time. Maybe it is because 800 people were laid off at Nick's work, mostly people working in the plants and a hand full of corporate. Luckily for us Nick was not one of them, I count my blessings everyday that Nick has a job and is able to support our family!! When Nick called me and told me the news my initial reaction was I felt terrible for those families. But, after I hung up the phone the only thing I could think of was "what if that was us, what would we do". We have no food storage, no savings...nothing!! So, to make a long story short I did what any mother would do and I kissed my soon to be updated kitchen good-bye. I stopped spending and started saving!! I have become so obsessed with trying to save money that I really didn't even want to go to Hilton Head because I knew that we wouldn't get to save any money that pay check but don't get me wrong I am glad we went!!
I was talking about this with our cousin Jennifer and she encouraged that I blog about it. Now you guys get to listen to my food storage frustrations. Lately all that I have been doing in my spare time is doing so much research with food storage that my brain is packed full with so much information that I feel like it is going to explode. I started our food storage, it is small and tiny right now but at least it is getting started and I feel very overwhelmed. My goal starting off is to have enough food storage and savings for a 3 month supply right now. We also started in the month of March and went on a fast food fast, if you know us we love to eat out! Well, we stopped eating out for the month and we cooked everyday and put $500 dollars in savings! Yeah, I know it is ridiculous how much money we waste on eating out!! I am extremely embarrassed to even say that we waste that much money on eating out. But, hey at least we are learning and trying to do better for our family. I am sure that so many of you have seen this blog and it is awesome!! It has baby steps to follow for building a food supply and I am using their step by step method which has me pretty darn EXCITED!! Look at me I have gone seriously nuts, I mean come on I am EXCITED about food storage!! Right now I am in step 1, making 72 hour emergency food kits and guess what I am sooo EXCITED!! So stay tuned to see how they turn out!! So, for those of you who have any awesome tips for food storage or recipes please, please, please send them my way so I have something that I would rather be doing then housework!! YAY for food storage and for savings!!!
8 comments:
Very cool Jessie! We started our food storage in Idaho awhile ago but we need to get it going again. We just started buying a little extra at each shopping trip and we'd take advantage of case lot sales. I don't know if you all get a lot of those in Georgia but it was big in Idaho. Just remember to rotate and only get food you will actually eat! I'm still working on recipes for food storage. That can be difficult. Good luck with it all!
i am proud for you and i think the more people start doing it the more we can see that it's an accomplishable goal - eat that elephant one bite at a time girl!!! i'll e-mail you that other blog we were talking about
I love that website too...
I recently got worried cause we're in the same boat - little food storage, no savings. After paying off some medical bills we are trying to use that "extra" money to put into food storage. Next: refinance the house and use that money for savings. You can only do so much at a time though. Be patient. It is HARD to build up an adequate supply!
Here is a link to do food storage week by week with only a couple bucks each week because it can be hard doing it all at once and such http://www.utahshoppingsecrets.com/2009/03/fallacyi-cant-afford-food-storage.html
I am sad about losing those case lot sales when we move to Ga! I love Utah case lot, very easy to get a lot of food for cheaper!
awesome Jessie! I am getting into it too and very proud of you and nick for being great examples. it really does rub off and get others wanting to do the same!
I say we buy one of those freezers and throw a bunch of hot dogs and bubba burgers in there and then buy a ton of tuna. Instant food storage! I can eat hamburgers, hot dogs and tuna for years!!! Maybe get some cereal as well for breakfast.
And please don't forget about housework!! I hear they go very well together. By doing both you stay extra happy and secure!!
Funny. I've been obsessed with food storage and saving money lately too. The food part is going better than the saving part, but it feels good to make some progress. Keep it up.
Oh, and, Jessie - if you really want to save some money, consider using these - http://www.bumgenius.com/ - we are using them exclusively, and it is so nice not to have to buy diapers all the time
Post a Comment