Monday, March 31, 2008

The Montana Itch!!

Every time around this year I get "the itch" to go back to Montana (I will tell you why I call it "the itch" a little later) I am not sure why I get homesick this time of year I just do and this has been going on for almost 7 years now. I think because I know that summer is around the corner and I love it there in the summer, it is one of the most beautiful places on earth!! I miss my family terribly and I think about them everyday and I wish so badly that I lived closer to them. Even if my family lived here in Georgia with me I would still get homesick for Montana. I went out and visited this time last year with Davis but he was just a baby then and was just learning to crawl so the 7 hour flight wasn't too bad. But, I am not suicidal enough to stick a 20 month old on a 7 hour flight, not going to happen this year!! And so instead I am left with "the itch" to only reminisce and long for Montana this year!

I call it "the itch" because one year we went out there and something happened to Nick and his whole body started "itching" everywhere. Luckily it happened at the end of our trip and here is a picture of Nick waiting for our flight miserable and itchy. He tried to tough it out because he hates going to the doctor but after 3 weeks he and I couldn't take it anymore. He couldn't stop itching and towards the end my compassion was running thin and I remember telling him just to stop itching (now that I think about it that was really mean of me) He would be sitting on the couch and all of a sudden he would be like a dog and move his whole body along the couch to scratch his itch. He would itch all day and all night and keep me up in the process....poor guy!! These are his exact words when he was itchy "I feel like jumping off a cliff and ending it all". When he finally went to the Doctor they gave him a steroid that knocked him out for 3 days but took away the itch. It was very humorous but I did feel bad for him as well.

But once you get the Montana Itch it gets in your blood and you will always long for Montana!! Now you know when I get homesick for Montana I call it "the itch". Just ask Nick....

10 comments:

Angie said...

We should go to the Smokies! I know it's not the same as Montana, but maybe it would soothe that itch a tiny bit! :)

Rachel said...

So pretty . . . I miss the mountains like crazy too. That's a really great picture of Nick, you should have made it a little bigger :)

Maria and Ross said...

I would love to go see where you grew up, it looks so beautiful. I am going to be flying 7 hours this summer to UT with my 3 kids ALONE, I'll let you know if I reccomend it!!!

Jessie said...

Maria you are so brave!! But then again Andrea is so right you are one of those mothers that make mothering look effortless!!

Kate said...

Travis is always telling me that we need to retir to Montana, but I don't know if I could handle the cold weather!! It is beautiful there, though.

Maria and Ross said...

Jessie, as I told Andrea, you just need to spend more time with me, you will realize I am usually in total survival mode each day. Glad to know that it doesn't show too much!!!

Bethanne said...

I love getting to know you better thru your posts! You are awesome...I think Adam would be right there with you. And, um, great pic of miserable Nick (hee hee).

Oh, and I love the new spunky blog description. You DO have it rough. :)

eMiLy sLaUgH said...

That's really funny about Nick! Mike would love to go back to Montana... he has great memories there and it is so beautiful! Hope you had a great weekend with your friends!

Anonymous said...

Mark Said...
Montanta is a beautiful place with the gordgus view, with bisons. the food there is really good too.

Andrea said...

That is beautiful! I can see what you miss. But, come on, here you have people that outshine the mountains. Just stare at your picture for a few minutes, then come to playgroup.