Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Fishing...is it healthy for your child's behavior?


Davis's Aunt Kristi and Uncle Wade bought him this game like a month ago and it has become one of his favorite toys....he LOVES it!! He wants to play with it everyday but recently I have had to hide it from him because this game brings out the worse in him even though he loves it so much, he walks around the house saying "fish, fish". The first time it happened I thought that he was just tired and it was time for his nap, but then I started noticing this pattern with his behavior when he plays the fishing game! He always starts off playing with it the right way by using the fishing pole and fishing for the fish. He is very patient at fishing and waiting until he finally catches a fish. When he finally gets a fish he is very excited but once he has caught some of the fish or he gets tired of using the fishing poles, he goes straight for just pulling out the fish screaming and shaking his head "No" "No" "No". After this he gets even more impatient and just dumps out all of the fish while screaming "No" "No" "No" over and over. Once they are all dumped out he takes the fish and squeezes them into his hands and then he will start throwing them all over the room (I usually stop him at that point). The crazy thing is he is actually mad at the fish for some reason. I wish so badly that I got it on video because the pictures just don't do justice for this but I was only quick enough to grab the camera. Who would of thought a fishing game would bring out the mean side in your child? So, the question we must ask here is fishing really healthy for our children's behavior?

10 comments:

Rachel said...

That is so funny. I think that children have hidden emotions and certain things really irk them. Maybe the fishing game isn't the best for him at this stage in his life (he he, just kidding, I actually want to see this in action!)

Laura said...

that is so funny! Little Eric just got this game for his birthday and loves it too. But we haven't had the getting mad at fish. I'll let you know if we get that problem. :) I need to make it up there soon and visit you guys. Are you guys going to be there this Saturday. I'll be up in Carrollton for my niece's b-day; since i'm kind of that way maybe i'll come up to you and see you. Let me know. One of these days i'm going to remember to call you. I have every intention but usually when i think to call you it is a bad time. One of these days i'll get my act together. :)

Angie said...

Hey, that fishing game can be kinda hard. I feel Davis' pain!

eMiLy sLaUgH said...

That is so funny! I guess he's getting his anger out somehow! Sometimes my kids get that way too with certain things! I was thinking about getting that game for Brad... but maybe I should rethink it! J/K

Maria and Ross said...

Gotta love kids. They are so real and I love that! Davis is so cute, I miss seeing him and having him stand by my side staring at me waiting for me to pick him up. Guess I just need a Jessie and Davis fix soon!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I think Nick should be proud. He would always flip board games. A popular phrase....
Like father like son.
Kids are so funny and cute. I do miss that about them after they grow up some. Though, Anna still says the funniest things. So, I guess I still have a few more years.
We love you guys....
Kimberly and all us still in good ole columbus!!!!

Bethanne said...

That is so funny! Don't you wonder sometimes why kids can be so illogical? hahahahaha. Leah and Jax definitely have their "things" that set them off too... :) Just gotta laugh, right?

Kate said...

Before I scrolled down and read your post I just saw the title and thought you were about to post about him picking his nose...fishing...get it?? anyway..that's where my mind goes. My kids pick their noses too much I guess. Sydney, our first, is a total perfectionist and pretty much all her games that she can't do perfect all the time bring out the worst in her. She gets so frustrated. for instance, if she can't get a puzzle piece to fit, she pushes the entire thing...even if it's mostly done..on the floor and says..."It WON'T LET ME PUT IT TOGETHER!!!!" I wonder why he's mad at the fish, though.....are they smelly?? ha ha

also known as shell said...

what a little stinker =)

where did you get your background?

Benson Fam said...

I too want to see this behavior in action! It's hard that sometimes things are cute that we can't or won't allow- like when Carter sends Joe to time out. It's hilarious because he is so serious, but we have to correct that behavior- all while trying not to laugh. Parenting is hard!