Friday, April 11, 2008

If I'm doing this then I'm making it a competition....

Ok, So Jess just signed me up as a contributor and I figure if I'm going to leave a post, then I want it to be something that I can turn into some sort of competion. My goal is to get the most comments ever for a post on blogspot. I'm guessing the most ever is 34. Please feel free to trust me and try not to find other posts on this website that has more, it's 34.

To do that I figure I need to come up with something that people really want to discuss or give their opinion on. I have come up with a few ideas but I think the one I'm going with is centered around a husband posting on a blog that pretty much belongs to their wife. Is this something that I can be made fun of for doing? Should I expect to see comments that belittle me or make me lose my self esteem? I just want everyone to know that I think it's totally awesome that Jess has a blog where she can talk with her friends and go see what everyone is doing and see pictures and videos and listen to friends favorites songs, etc.

So my question is, if I created a blog for myself or just used this one to post every now and then and perhaps put some of my own songs on there and maybe some of my dreams and ambitions and maybe feel out one of those questionaires about what food I like and what my favorite movie is and what I look for in a woman, would I be made fun of or thought less of? Sometimes I think it's unfair that guys are expected to act a certain way. I know on more than one occasion I've read a blog where a girl (I will come back to this later b/c I have another question about the appropriate way to refer to a female) says something about how they wish we could just break out into song and start singing and dancing. All my life I've wanted to hang from a ceiling fan while singing a song about how tough it is living on the streets selling newspapers. In case you didn't know, this is a scene from the movie "Newsies". Or perhaps when Jess and I fight and she goes upstairs, I would like to be able to bust out with some sort of sappy song about how I don't intend to upset her and that I try to make her happy but some times I just do stupid things. The song would be filled with emotion and has it's strong and soft moments but overall, it would be a totally awesome song. Or if we're in the mall and Jess wants to buy something we don't need, I would like to see me along with every other guy in there start marching around singing about how we can no longer support your money spending addictions and that we're not going to take it anymore.

And back to the "girl" commment that I made earlier. If I'm refering to a female, do I say woman, female, lady or girl? Let's say the female is anywhere from 20 years old to 50? How do I refer to her?

Anyway, please leave as many comments as you would like. I plan on leaving like 12 or so.

40 comments:

Jessie said...

Oh brother...what have I got started!! Nick you are crazy!!

Josiah said...

comments for Nick

Josiah said...

in the army every woman is a female....even the good looking ones

Nick said...

See, I would like to use the word female but sometimes that may seem too formal? Lady and woman can be seen as derogatory. And girl is nice but they may think you consider them to be immature or something? It's just a problem.

Jessie said...

By the way why does everything have to be a competition with you?

Angie said...

I thought this was the longest post competition at first not most comments! Why does everything have to be a competition? Oh, I just saw that Jessie asked the same thing! :)


Girl is fine with me because I still feel girly! You forgot about: chick, chica, dudette, gal , broad . . .

I think life would be way cool if everyone broke out in song and dance. If you don't swing from a ceiling fan and sing us a song the next time we come and visit, then it may be our last!

Angie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angie said...

Yes! I just wanted to see if deleted comments count, and they totally do, awesome! Hmmm, or maybe I just wrote something that I decided not to share after all, now you'll never know!

Oh, and in reference to what you commented on Spencer and Jenny's blog about not being able to type in the word verification, I never have trouble with that, just so you know . . .

Jessie said...

Let's make that clear that it is Nick that has trouble with the word verification...not me :)
This is my last comment because I hope you don't make it to your magical number of 34.

Adam L. said...

Here's my contribution to your post, Nick.

Longest post ever contest? Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

Anonymous said...

And let me hear your thoughts on the song that plays as you read the post!!! It's freakin' awesome.

Adam L. said...

Comment #11!

I'm eating Carl's Jr for lunch.

Adam L. said...

Comment #12

Since you owe me for all these comments, I'm going to list you as a personal recommendation on my graduate school application. Will you email me your official job title, company address, and other contact info?

Adam L. said...

You messed up my comment numbers!

This is actually #14, and it's the last one you're getting out of me!

The song was good.

Bethanne said...

Okay, this is hilarious. And don't question your manhood...just be yourself. hahahahaha. That really was a funny post though. And Newsies was awesome - just make sure that you tape it and post it on the blog to share with all of us! We all need a little entertainment...

And by the way, I have seen comments up to 52 for one post.

Bethanne said...

Oh, and "hi" brother! How's life? You missed your nephew's first birthday. Jerk.

My second comment. Are you close?

Corley said...

I think that you should be the star of the next Enchanted...they are totally about busting out in song!

As far as the girl,woman,lady thing... they all mean the same thing...I'm sure any 80 year old woman wouldn't mind being called a girl!

Angie said...

Well, since it's been a couple of hours since someone left a comment, I thought I'd help you out. Gotta keep that count up!

Ok, so I have to make fun of John for a minute. He was on the computer for two hours last night looking at bowling shoes. He didn't even make a decision during all that time. This from the guy who doesn't want to read a long blog entry! Seriously!?!

Jessie said...

Since I am such a loving wife I will help you out as well. Since, it looks like you might not make it.
Come on John where are you priorities? Come on, bowling shoes for 2 hours...Here is a shout ut to John for being a DORK!!

Jessie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

John isn't the only one not leaving comments. With that map thing you can see who's looking but not leaving comments. I only know of a few friends that live in certain parts of the country so when I see that location but no comment from them, I know what's going on!!

And please tell John that I will never leave another comment on his post.

And for bethanne her claim of seeng 52 comments left on one post, I simply do not believe it. And how come no one is answering my questions.

also known as shell said...

nick-

a) that was a great read. and I read a lot of blogs

b)I think the most amount of comments I've seen is like way over 200. but that's on perezhiltons blog and he's gay. so that doesn't count. so your number of 34 is probably the highest thats out there in bloggy land :)

c) Jessie- I can see your blog being taken over... watch out!

Bethanne said...

Nick, how rude!

52 comments was on a family's blog where their daughter is about 3 weeks old and has a heart defect. And everyone was wishing little Gracie good luck. So, in a way, it is true that it wasn't a NORMAL post. But still, there are 52.

Good luck, big guy...

Jessie said...

Good point Shellie!! But don't worry I won't let it happen I know where he sleeps at night!!

Angie said...

I came to check out your number, and I was like, whoa 29, but then I realized I was looking at the comments about Jessie's hair! Too bad, she is still in the lead! It would be really awesome if people posted up to 33 comments and then just stopped! Ok, I know you would just post one yourself, hey where are your promised 12 comments anyway?

Oh, and to answer one of your questions, I think husband and wife shared blogs are amazing!

Anonymous said...

Look, your 52 comment thing was just meant to make me feel bad but it didn't work. Special circumstances do not count for what I'm doing.

And thanks for answering one of the questions Angie. And tell John if I lived in a world where you did sing and stuff I would sing a song about how silly it is spending so much time trying to find a pair of bowling shoes. I bet the ones he buys will have pink in them.

Anonymous said...

Hello Nick,
I'll add to your comment list.
Ya'll are hillarious!!!!!!!

Hope you make it to your number. After all that thought and heart you put into your post you deserve it!!!
Love Your big Sis
Kimberly

Anonymous said...

I've actually seen one that a husband strictly does. He document all kinds of stuff his kids do.
It's pretty cool.

Kim :)

Anonymous said...

Okay, I've actually signed in for this so I wanted to see the sign say

Kimberly said......

Miss you guys. Give Davis a hug for us!!!
Kim :)

John said...

I finally got around to posting a comment...You are about to break the record.

I think that posting a blog is cool from time to time. Just don't do it everyday, because then it starts to become a little girly.

John said...

Nick,

Let me know the next time you come into town. I'll rent Newsies!!!

John said...

I guess I am the only lame person posting on a Friday night. Oh well...here is one more for your count.

Rachel said...

Oooh!! I love Newsies!!

Rachel said...

No need to thank me for helping your comment list get to 34. I actually feel like I should win a prize! Just kidding! Nice post. It's not every day you see a husband leave such a though-provoking post on a "wife's" blog, will you talk Robb into it? I think he's posted about 4 times in the last year.

Anonymous said...

Bethanne....Everyone wants to know if Adam at least called on your son's first bday?

Bethanne said...

Adam is the king of not calling on B'Days (love you bro'!). Luckily we all still love him! :) I mean how can you not?! I think, and correct me if I'm wrong Adam, that when I called him for HIS birthday (2 days after mine), his response was "Ha ha ha ha ha, I didn't even call you on your birthday." Or something to that extent. In song. Too bad he is so much fun otherwise we'd get offended. Or cry.

Anonymous said...

Nick might be crazy, but he is my brother and i love him as a brother, i dont know what to address when i am talking to a female, girl, lady, woman, so i address her by her first name. Let everybody know on this post, the bettes family can not play a board game, everyone is competitive, and they try to cheat while playing a board game, so the bettes family doesnt play board games whne we get together, it is nice being single and having freedom and i dont have a wife bocking orders at me, being single is the way to go. I ate lunch at Long horn steak house on friday, i had two grilled bbq chicken, with three different chesses on it for main course with sweet potato, for salad i had a cesar salad, for appitizer i had chilly cheese fries, yummy to my tommy, everybody have a good day.

Anonymous said...

made an error, wasnt looking, nick is not crazy. John did u ever go back and pay the people at bama lanes in phenix city Alabam, for bowling 2 games, back in your ysa days. Carl juniors does he own hardees, there is no carls junior in the south, Red Robbin resturant chain there food is awful, i can fix better food than that, they need to pack up and go back out west. The south is #1 in food. Missing a nephews birthday is wrong, in a way that is like missing a son's or daughters b-day, or any events there in involved in. A doctor recommend me for stress free is buying a Wii, he said play it before starting the day, play when u get home, play it before go to bed, and play it on the weekends, sat in the moring, sat in the afternoon, sat evening before dinner time, and sat before bed time, sunday in the morning, sun after noon, sunday evening, and sunday night before going to bed. Again yall have a good weekend.

Adam L. said...

Doctor-prescribed Wii playing?? Now that's what I need!

Not calling people on their birthdays FTW! (Seriously, after the number of nieces and nephews reached five, I lost all hope of ever keeping up). It's nothing personal.

Anonymous said...

My doctor prescribed me to get a wii, and it has made a difference in my life the Ninetdo Wii.